- Price: $$$.
- Flow rate: 8 gpm
- capacity: 22,100 Cereals
- Number of persons: up to 4
- Rainfall measured:
What distinguishes the 950 from other WaterBoss softeners is that it is exclusively designed for city water.
In other words, a system with 22,100 grains cannot cope with the iron content.
In return, not only is hardness reduced, but the taste and smell of chlorine (maximum dissolved chlorine = 3 ppm) is eliminated by embedding in a mixed medium that acts as an integrated, self-cleaning carbon filter.
As you can see, the WaterBoss 950 is also a filter for drinking water.
As far as water softening is concerned, the system has treated the water with 35 grains per gallon.
What is the ideal household size for this appliance?
A consumption of 8 gallons per minute is sufficient for 4 residents living under the same roof.
Is there anything else worth mentioning? Absolutely!
The domestic water softener/filter is manufactured entirely in the United States and has a 3 year warranty on mechanical and electronic parts and 10 years on the resin bath and outer jacket.
Minimum required and maximum allowable pressure: 20 to 120 pounds per square inch
On the note: WaterBoss does not recommend the use of rock salt for optimal system performance. Use pure granulate, solar salt or cube salt instead. In addition, the pH of your water must be 7 or higher. Finally, the brine tank must always be filled with salt for at least 1/3 of its capacity.
What we like
Like all WaterBoss water softeners, the 950 is designed to use less water than any other retail water softener. And indeed, if the system works as intended, the amount of salt it consumes is incredibly low.
This can be achieved by using demand-driven regeneration and charging only when needed. This reduces salt and water consumption, which is good for the environment and convenient for your wallet.
Moreover, the plasticizer is very quiet during regeneration.
Last but not least we like the NSF Standard 44 certification for barium and radium 226/228, which is another step towards a clean and safe H2O.
Installation and commissioning instructions
There is already a built-in bypass valve, so you don’t have to worry when installing the WaterBoss 950.
What’s more, the unique box design is pleasing to the eye and compact. This means that the device does not take up as much space in your garage or basement as many other plasticizers.
Can you install this do-it-yourself system? I think that… unless you’re very comfortable in the house. In this case it may be better to hire a professional plumber to do the installation for you.
If you’re interested, here’s the general plan of the process:
If the softener is not fitted with a bypass valve, we recommend that it is easily maintained. Also ensure that local water regulations are observed.
1. Finding the right place
The WaterBoss 950 requires a power outlet and a drain.
Always choose a location for your boiler and close to the main water line. That way, all the water becomes softer.
And make sure you choose a place where it doesn’t freeze.
- Turn off the water heater and turn off the water supply.
- Close the main supply valve.
- Open all cold and hot water taps to drain the remaining water and relieve the pressure in the pipe system.
- To connect the water supply system, lift and remove the housing cover.
- Install the Qest fittings (included). Look out! Look out! Neither teflon tape nor plumbing is required for the control connections.
- Check the arrows on the connections to make sure the current is flowing in the right direction.
- Connect the water pipes to the appliance. Take care not to tighten the fittings on the plastic thread.
- Fix the overflow fitting in the lower position and connect the 1/2 hose (not included in the scope of delivery) between the overflow fitting and a suitable drain.
- Connect the oil drain line (1/2) to the cover of the oil drain opening.
- Place a drain hose in the corresponding waste container. Maintain the air hole.
- Then switch the unit to the Bypass position and switch on the water supply.
- Turn on the nearest cold water tap. Flush the system.
- Place the water softener in servicein line .
- Turn off all the faucets.
- Check all pipes and connections for leaks.
- Plug in the water softener plug.
- Program the system via the LCD screen (see below for details).
- Add 2 litres of water to the brine container.
- Start the manual regeneration cycle. Allow the device to draw water from the salt chamber until the test/air intake hose is installed (this takes approximately 8-10 minutes).
- Press the Regenerate button. Fill the tank with water.
- Fill the brine container with salt.
- Turn on the power and water supply to the boiler.
- Turn on the cold water tap and let the appliance rinse for 20 minutes (about 76 gallons).
- Replace the housing cover.
WaterBoss has created this explanatory video that guides you through the installation step by step:
- Resin/refining tank (grey), 14 3/4 x 18 3/4 x 30 3/4 (W x D x H), salt storage capacity 170 lbs.
- Bypass valve
- 22 Ultra-fine resin of 100 grains (0.7 cubic feet).
- Activated carbon holder (0.25 cubic metres), self-cleaning.
- Test strips for water quality testing
- Installation kit
Programming, configuration and maintenance
What do you need to do in terms of programming and maintenance of the 950?
First of all, installing the digital control head takes no more than 5 minutes if you follow the instructions.
You need to determine the water hardness level, the current time, the regeneration frequency of the system, etc. – and that’s it.
As far as maintenance is concerned, remember to fill the reservoir with salt and make sure that there is no precipitation in the brine tank + air control.
If you wish, you can use a resin-based detergent every month.
If you are looking for a manual for the WaterBoss 700, 900 or 950, you will find it here!
What we don’t like is.
These are just a few of the problems encountered by customers who have purchased the WaterBoss 950:
- Missing/breaked parts will be sent.
- Complete failure of the system, resulting in permanent regeneration of the plasticizer. It fills the septic tanks of customers who live in the countryside and floods their sewage fields.
- The resin is leaking.
- Dead charges.
Moreover, it seems that the support of WaterBoss cannot disturb you. The people who pick up the phone are not polite and in most cases are not willing to help you.
Although some users say that if you live in the city, then the WaterBoss 950 water softener is for you, you need to read some of the many 1 star reviews to get the full picture.
More often than not, you don’t want to play Russian roulette and risk buying expensive replacements for a recently purchased plasticizer that has suddenly broken down.
In summary: We cannot recommend this product in good conscience and advise you to choose one of the many competing systems on the market.
Looking for more reviews about water softenerBo’s?
Isn’t that what you were looking for? Click here for more reviews of WaterBoss water softeners.
This completes our assessment of the WaterBoss 950. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below!
waterboss 950 manual,waterboss 950 full of water
Disclosure: We are a professional review company & our reviews are not biased towards any of the products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give marks to only the very best that is given by our author. We are very independently owned & the opinions expressed here are our own. However, if you purchase anything after clicking the links present in the articles then we get some commissions for it which help maintaining the websites expenses like servers, security etc.